Love Medicine

Love Medicine
Detail of beadwork from an Ojibwe medicine pouch

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Favorite Characters?

What is your favorite character in Love Medicine and why?

I really like Lulu. Although she does marry out of spite, I think in other instances, she is a very strong person. Despite losing Nector, the love of her life, to Marie, Lulu remains strong. I love this quote: "'She's had the floor and half the council on it,' I heard a whispered voice say. But I paid no heed and kept my head up proud" (283). While in the courtroom, Lulu isn't taken seriously; she's mocked. Her peers point out her faults, but she keeps her head held high. I like how other people can't take away her dignity. Other people are condemning her for her promiscuity, but the one's who are pointing fingers aren't perfect either.

11 comments:

Thomas Meric said...

i like lipsha, especially in the last chapter. personally i dont know how i would react if i found out everything i have been told about by family was a lie. i think he handled it well

Jessika Whitbeck said...

I agree with Thomas. Even though Lipsha doesn't really do anything with his life, he still realizes the importance of family and love. He does everything in his power to try and make his grandmother Marie happy. All he wants to see is Nector and Marie together,

brian said...

lulu is my favorite character because she goes through so many mentally tiring things and theres so much drama because of her

Anonymous said...

lyman is my favorite. i like how he takes care of his brother and cares so much about him. i think he has good intentions

Jordan Harry said...

i really like Gerry even though he is a criminal, all he wants to do is be with his wife, and in the end at least he finds some happiness by being with Lipsha

bossier330 said...

i like lyman. he's so good towards his brother. it's really touching.

Hallie said...

I really like Marie because she is a really strong figure. She had to put up with some really hard times at the convent and so much from Nector. She had a really hard life but she still remained strong.

Anonymous said...

June is my favorite character because even though she died she was still such an important character in the book. She was also like a free spirit I think and I liked that.

seelige said...

i think marie is an interesting character because she has been through alot of stuff, but still remains a strong figure

Taylor Harkness said...

I thought Gerry was a pretty cool character because even though he in trouble most the time and in and out of jail he did what made him happy and liked being with his wife best. Family characters are easy to root for.

nitsudd said...

i dont know who my favorite character was but Lulu was definitly my least favorite. she got around too much. i guess lyman is my favorite because the red convertable was my favorite chapter in the book.