Love Medicine

Love Medicine
Detail of beadwork from an Ojibwe medicine pouch

Thursday, February 25, 2010

So since I'm not going to be in class tomorrow I finished the dvd today. First of all, I don't find the accounts on the video shocking as much as I'm just kind of horrified. I mean, if we look into this country's past it's not hard to believe that something like the Native American boarding school incident happened (and I don't mean that in "I hate this country" sort-of way). I just mean, look into our past and there's a history of mistreatment of people who are "different." However, I had no idea that something to this magnitude was going on, especially not so close to the present time. Also, there are some comments towards the end coming from some Native Americans who went through the system and claim to be grateful for it. I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my head around that. Though I realize that not everyone was directly affected by the beatings, imprisonment, rape, ect...I just don't see how any Native American could come away from that, knowing what others went through, and still speak well of the system. That's just my personal opinion. The part I think is the worst is the fact that the government tried to wipe their whole culture away. They have such unique practices, beliefs, arts..and so on, that were not really understood or appreciated properly by the rest of America. That's what I got out of the video, just hoping to start a discussion.

No comments: