Love Medicine

Love Medicine
Detail of beadwork from an Ojibwe medicine pouch

Monday, September 17, 2007

Here's the Poem I Wrote in Class (and a little bit after)

In the sunlight, leaning against the well,
It seems as if the weight of my years are as the mist on the ocean.
I am one with the air and the light, above all earthly concerns.

But within our dark bedchamber, reclining alone,
The years come upon me like waves curling back on themselves,
Until the blood-dark sea sucks me down with Absyrtus.
There, I have tears enough to fill an ocean,
And they are as hot on my cheeks as the blood on my hands, but no saltier.

Our home was never a harbor,
The solid walls of Greek houses
encased me, hardened me, and chilled me
Until I was an egg.

My brown skin faded to ivory.
My stomach swelled taught under the robes you paid for.
On a battlefield more terrible than Jason had ever seen,
I grew fat, whole and expressionless, and bore your children.
Only then, after the wilds of Colchis were erased,
Its beaches eroded into a smooth whiteness, my keen mind filed into a
Maternal oval, could I be reborn.

I leapt from my own head,
Heart in full armor,
Alive in the world.
And killed my own.

Now, there is no home, no sanctuary.
Neither Earth nor water offer me a resting place.
Up here, I am unencumbered by walls or love.
I am alone in the fiery wind of my mind,
But I am free.

No comments: