Love Medicine

Love Medicine
Detail of beadwork from an Ojibwe medicine pouch

Monday, September 17, 2007

Parker's Poem

Oh, how my impromptu charade plays out.
The oblivious woman whose tranquil life was fine.
But her situation bored me.
Within her heart I lit a spark for a perservering man
Who wanted a treasure her father held dear.

Oh, how she complied with his desire,
Leading herself to commit vile sins worthy of Greek tragedy.
Killing her brother, her uncle,
Asking her accomplice for marriage.

Oh, how her ungreatful husband cheated.
But such an intriguing story this is for me.
Ah, now she wants revenge.
How my love spark has burst into flame.
What a complex twist I have made.

She must kill her children and her husband's wife?
Oh, how potent my love potion is.

All this turmoil from just one silly whim of the gods.
But now the gruesome charade is finished.
I grow bored.

8 comments:

Taylor Harkness said...

Nice poem parker. I really like your analogy of aphrodite's spark burst into flames. I like the way you show how the gods destroy peoples lives out of boredom.

bweaver said...

parker wrote that in like 20 minutes he has got skills and i liked the part about how she says she grows bored

Jessika Whitbeck said...

good poem parker

Anonymous said...

i like it, especially how you make it seem like the gods ruin peoples lives on a daily basis for fun/.

seelige said...

yeah i think this is really good parker and i think the way you analyzed the gods with people was interesting

Jordan Harry said...

good poem, that way u used googd vocab and blended it with allusions was really well done

Hallie said...

wow, this is really good! i would have never thought to write from this point of view.

bkorrapati25 said...

dang...parker you're good with poetry. maybe you and doug should read poetry to each other, i like what you said about aphrodite's spark bursting into flames