Love Medicine

Love Medicine
Detail of beadwork from an Ojibwe medicine pouch

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Nation?

Over the weekend I attended the LASC Convention in Shreveport. Cassidy, Christina, Molly, and I were roommates. One night while in the hotel room, Molly and I got into a great conversation about how much we love learning about Native American literature! Cassidy piped up with what I thought was a very interesting fact. Did you know that what we call Native Americans do not actually want to be called Native Americans. First, Indians(which is understandable), and now Native Americans. They want to be called the "First Nation". I did some research and this proves to be true.

1 comment:

Molly A. said...

I also thought this fact was interesting. I also find it funny that the reason people often call them Indians is because of Christopher Columbus' mistake...