Love Medicine

Love Medicine
Detail of beadwork from an Ojibwe medicine pouch

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dante's Haikus

Dante

What is this strange place?

I just woke up in a daze

Where the Hell am I?


Virgil

I will lead him through

He will learn Hell’s true meaning

I’ll show him the way


Charon

If you want to cross

Come aboard my humble skiff

We will cross the Styx


Ruggieri

I’m here forever

I will always be chewed on

Forever in pain


Minos

Around my tail goes

I will determine your fate

Circle 5 for you!


Cerberus

I guard circle 3

The gluttons are behind me

I guard their fat souls


Satan

My wings freeze over

All the circles feel my wrath

I’m the prince of Hell!


The Styx

They swim within me

They are doomed to drown in me

Let the sinners drown

5 comments:

MPH said...

Nice ones bro, here's one:

Ugolino

Ruggi made me starve
If only we could escape
And jet like Brett Favre

Jessica Deckard said...

andrew - Ugolino chews ON Ruggieri, not the other way around.

andrewmcdaniel said...

Yea sorry, I realized my mistake a little while ago but i forgot to change it.

brantmcconnell said...

There havent been any Minotaur ones so here it goes.

My mom "knows" a bull,
I am a bastardized son,
And I'm violent.

jmartinez said...

love the haiku's McD
heres mine

Dante
I approached Hell
Covered by a mountain top
Through the open hole.

Monsters
A mythic three now
In front of me they all stand.
Lion. Leopard. Wolf.

Minotaur
The second circle
Is where I serve my purpose
Wrapping up sinners

Farinata
The present is lost
I only can see what lies
Ahead of earth now

Tiereisias
For looking into
The future I now suffer
The fate of behind

Francesca
I left my husband
To read with my new lover
He murdered us both

Pagans
We knew nothing then
Of this man from Nazareth
We are here to stay

In filth we lie still
While Cerberus destroys us
Tears us limb from limb

We are but mere wood
The harpies bite and chew us
Suicide our crime

Lying on the sand
Fire rains down upon our souls
We who hurt others

Stuck in the ice lake
Treachery is our folly
We freeze at these depths

Satan
Three sinners reside
In the depths of hell with me
In my mouths they be

Dante
Paradise, my goal
Through the dark bowels of Hell
Is the path I stroll

Judas
I accepted silver
For the life of my dear friend
I pay in the end

Adam
The serpent tempted
I refused, but then I bit
Hell is home til Christ

Circle 2
Dante spared our souls
Because he is guilty of
The sin we have done

Circle 5
Attacking all else
With rocks we push at each other
The fight doesn’t stop